Thursday, March 16, 2017

CHAPSTICK TOTAL HYDRATION VANILLA CREAM with COQ10 lip balm

As far as I'm concerned, a few years back when Chapstick created the Total Hydration line they completely changed over from the brand with the waxy, slightly medicinal-smelling, thick lip balm to the brand with the ever-multiplying versions of a revolutionary new kind of lip balm. Now it contains mango butter! Now avocado butter! Sweet lord it has argan oil! They seem to be coming out with a new one of these every week. While it's not new, I've recently discovered the one that has CoQ10 in it, and I made the requisite trip to Target, CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens in pursuit of it. I finally found it at the second Target I visited. I was interested in this one in particular because according to their website it has these benefits:

Advanced moisture formula with antioxidant CoQ10
Provides lips 8 hours of moisture
Instantly smoothes lips
Reduces the appearance of fine lines
Clinically proven healthier looking lips





The scent of this Chapstick, which I feared at first as I'm not in love with vanilla, is not obnoxious and reminds me more of whipped cream. It has no taste.

When I read about this product, I was a little bit sucked in by the ingredient CoQ10, as I have heard this word floating around the skincareverse for a while. I think I thought that it was the CoQ10 that instantly smoothed lips and reduced the appearance of fine lines. But now I think that the CoQ10 doesn't really do anything visible, it's just an antioxidant fighting free radicals. 


Which is not to say that this product doesn't do anything! When I opened it up and tried it on for the first time, it was quite stiff - that is to say that it seemed like not a lot of the product was coming off on my lips. It's also not that slippery. When you rub your lips together it does not glide so easily as it would if it were Vaseline. But that's probably a good thing since this Chapstick must have a few more nourishing ingredients than pure petroleum jelly. In essence, it doesn't feel like the most moist lip balm in the world. But...



When I put this on a night I swear that in the morning it looks like my lip lines really have been reduced. It's sort of magical - suddenly all the little cracks and crevices are smoothed and raised up, and my lips look plumper. The plumping effect doesn't last all day, but it will be interesting to see over time whether or not my lip lines seem to be smoothing out. This is one of the reasons I've been so obsessed with lip balm for such a long time. To paraphrase Samantha from Sex and the City, "My lips are my thing!" (She said hair. Then she shaved hers off. I'm not shaving my lips). The moisturizing may last 8 hours, but the lip balm lasted about an hour and a half on me.

Suffice it to say that I want to keep my lips smoother longer. I think this Chapstick with CoQ10 is going to help me do that.

3.5/5 Stars

Have you ever used a lip balm that really reduced the appearance of lip lines?

No comments:

Post a Comment