Monday, March 3, 2014

The Makeup Show: Los Angeles 2014

Hello makeup mavens, it's been a few days since I've posted but that is because I've been a busy beaver. This past weekend I attended The Makeup Show in Los Angeles. What an incredible experience. I had never been to a makeup trade show before. I've been hearing about IMATS for years but never had the chance to go, and I only just recently found out about The Makeup Show.

If you have been haunting makeup boards for a while, you're probably familiar with many of the brands that were present. But some, you may not have heard of, and I want to share them with you.

Makeup Show
At 8:30 a.m., it was already a mad house. There was a line through the lobby of people waiting to get in. Once we arrived on the 13th floor of the California Market Center in downtown L.A., we were let into the loft that held the show.


The first booth I had to hit was Embryolisse. The reason being that I knew I could finally buy my beloved Lait Creme Concentrait at a discounted price! Most of the vendors mark down the prices of the products by a little bit at a trade show. In any case, the very helpful brand ambassador demonstrated several of the products and even though I knew I should get the mattifying Hydra-Mat Emulsion for my oily skin, I stubbornly decided to stick with the Lait Creme Concentrait. It's been the holy grail moisturizer for the Pixiwoo sisters on Youtube and I was introduced to it by them. Supposedly it's been a "pro secret" for years but who cares about that - we all should have it!
Makeup show embryolisse
Next time I purchase from Embroylisse, it will be their BB Cream.

One of the larger displays there was Crown Brush, who just had buckets of brushes at incredibly low prices. They had brushes for everything. They had high-end brushes, middle, and dirt cheap. I went back to this booth FIVE times and bought two different brushes each time. I was actually gobsmacked by the quality of these brushes. Some of them were made with animal hairs and some with synthetic fibers like Taklon. I plan on doing a detailed post about my Crown brushes within the next few days.
makeup show crown brush
Caddycorner to Crown Brush was the booth I was absolutely the most excited about. The Wayne Goss brush booth. If you've never heard of Wayne Goss he is gossmakeupartist on Youtube and he is amazing. He is so honest about products, is a fantastic makeup artist, and knows a crap-ton about foundation and how to make your face look flawless.

I'm not sure but I think his brush line is fairly new. It's not cheap, not by any means, but it's crafted in Japan and is supposed to be of incredibly high quality. I was definitely shopping on a budget but I knew I had to get one. I went with the #4, the crease blending brush. We will take a look at that this week.
makeup show wayne goss
makeup show wayne goss
I was a little surprised by the simplicity of the Wayne Goss/Beautylish booth, but when I asked about it the girl told me "We like to let the brushes speak for themselves".

A little down the way was a booth called Muse Beauty Pro. I'm not familiar with them but their booth had Kett foundations. Kett makes both airbrush and traditional makeup. The reason I had to check them out is because Goss is always saying that they have some of the most incredible foundation he has ever seen - and he has seen a lot.
makeup show kett cosmetics
makeup show kett cosmetics
While I was wandering around through the aisles something striking caught my eye. It was a brush company I had never heard of, the London Brush Company. A lady was standing behind the booth and I meandered up to it, almost timidly, to peruse the wares. First of, I loved the look of the brushes. The colors of the handles. The lady immediately started explaining to me what every brush was for. I saw brushes I've never even imagined before. It turns out that lady is the owner and designer of every brush. Her name is Sian Richards, and she was wonderful. She dutifully talked me through each and every brush that I picked up. She explained that the brushes are handcrafted in England and that she has two lines, one with animal hair and one that is vegan/cruelty free.

I absolutely had to have one. I chose the vegan Nouveau #16, which she told me was great for cream eyeshadow. I have a feeling I am going to adore this brush. Look for my review later in the week.
If I had my choice, I would have bought the amazingly innovative pyramid brush. I have NEVER seen anything like it. It's for foundation.

I had to visit Inglot because I see their products at Impulse Beauty but never buy them. Here, I thought, was my chance. I had just bought new lip brushes from Crown so I decided I needed a lip pot to use them with. I ended up getting AMC Lip Paint #60 which is a darling peach shade. I'm in love. 

makeup show inglot
Aside from everything I wanted to see, the biggest names there were Makeup Forever and Nars. Other booths included Flutter Lashes, Element Two airbrush system, Temptu, Kevyn Aucoin, Camera Ready Cosmetics, Graftobian, and a lot more.

Oh dear, I almost forgot! I've been hearing unbelievable things about Hakuhodo brushes from Japan. Someone told me they are the makers of MAC brushes but that their brushes are pretty much the finest quality brushes on the market. They had a booth and although I went back about 3 times I really couldn't afford to buy anything! Their cheapest brush was $18 and they had brushes as much at $112 dollars or more. I felt them and they felt ridiculously soft.
makeup show hakuhodo brushes
Hakuhodo brushes are absolutely gorgeous - especially the orange ones.

What follows are some miscellaneous photos from the show. All in all, it was astounding. I relish the privilege of having been able to go. I've now become officially addicted to makeup trade show.

makeup show

Element Two airbrush system

makeup show
makeup show
random girl with amazing nails
makeup show
makeup show

Here is my haul video from The Makeup Show Los Angeles:


4 comments:

  1. your so lucky! i've been wanting to go to a makeup show for so long i missed out on getting tickets for the imats in nyc they sold out so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's too late to get tickets to the NYC show, which is May 4th and 5th! Check out:
      http://www.themakeupshow.com/makeupshow/NY/index.html

      By the way, The Fancy Lady is my first commenter! Thank you, darling!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, clicked on your link from your profile on MUA (you responded to my 'poor me I can't go to IMATS post'. Love the informative review and video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K1DUB! Sorry for the late, late reply! We've been on hiatus for over a year but we are breathing new life into the blog. Please keep reading and I'll be sending out more information about tradeshows such as IMATS and The Makeup Show that will be taking place worldwide year-around.

      Delete