Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Maybelline Volum' Express The Mega Plush Mascara

This was an impulse buy. I had been wearing Physician's Formula Organic Wear mascara and was unsatisfied with the results. I was browsing Walgreens, actually shopping for a new shampoo and conditioner and when I passed the new beauty displays there was, sitting on the top shelf, a display for Maybelline Volum' Express The Mega Plush mascara. I suppose I was a bit of a sucker because I bought it due to the fact that it was being sold in a two-pack for $9.99, and the regular price for one was $8.99. I grabbed one of the two-packs and headed for the register. I bought it in the color Blackest Black.

It was one of those rare moments when I bought something on the fly and didn't spend any time researching it or the reviews. Sounded good on the package. Gel-mousse formula, 40% less hard waxes. Also, I liked the fact that the brush had bristles, like mascaras used to before every drugstore mascara started with the hard plastic brushes. I'm not a fan of those. I was seriously tempted to buy L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly mascara that was sitting right next to the Mega Plush, but at $9.99 for one of those, the Mega Plush seemed like more of a bargain.

The Packaging: Very cute, in my opinion. The tube is a teal/turquoise with hot pink metallic lettering. The wand part is just the right size and thickness to hold in your hands while applying the mascara.



The brush: The brush is a long oval that is slimmer on at the ends and fatter in the middle. It's still a little bit thick on the ends but not so thick that you can't dig in and get to the inner and outer corner of your lashes.


I like the brush a lot. It has very soft bristles, not those hard plastic ones. Plus, the wand is flexible, it actually bends at the bottom of the brush, so it sort of "moves" with your lashes. I'm not entirely sure there is a benefit to this, as lashes are not strong enough to bend the wand even when closing your eyes against it as it's moving up, but it's a nice feature nonetheless.




Even though I say I like the brush, I'm not entirely sure it's doing what I want it to do. With mascara, I have two priorities: thickening and separating. Lengthening is not really a necessity for me. But i do need my lashes to be separated as they tend to stick together. Unfortunately it is in this department that Mega Plush failed me. I'm not entirely sure it made my lashes appear thicker, either. It certainly lengthened them, much more than Physicians's Formula Organic Wear did.


Here you can see the comparison of my left (with mascara) and right eye (without). Again, definitely lengthening, not a whole lot of thickening, and a lot of sticking together.

The Formula: it goes on really well. It's not clumpy at all and has that gel-like consistency. The way it feels on the lashes after it has dried is not sticky, not too stiff, but not especially soft either. I would say it's somewhere in the middle of stiff and very soft.

Overall: I like it, but I don't love it. I don't know what I'm going to do with the second tube but I'll probably find another mascara I like better before I finish both of these.

3.5 out of 5 stars.   

1 comment: